The TOEFL is accepted in more than 10,000 colleges, universities and agencies in over 150 countries. And just like many other test-takers around the world, you will most likely be taking the TOEFL for school admissions, work or immigration.
When it comes to TOEFL iBT registration, there are a number of factors to consider. Let’s break them down below.
TOEFL Test Fees
Fees can vary, depending on where you take the test. The average fee for the TOEFL is $190. The TOEFL registration fee in Kenya however, is $200. And of course, you have to put into account the dollar exchange rate which fluctuates from time to time.
There are different ways you can register for the TOEFL test. Seats can fill up quickly, so register early. It is recommended that you register 3 to 4 months before your desired test date to reserve your seat. Your test date should be 2 to 3 months before your earliest admissions application or other deadline.
Online registration is the easiest, fastest, cheapest and most convenient way to register for the TOEFL exam. Learning & Testing Services of East Africa (LTS) is an authorized TOEFL iBT testing center and assists test-takers with online registration by providing convenient and easy payment methods for the TOEFL test and removing the hassle in doing self-registration.
If you are doing your own online registration, your payment methods are restricted to Visa card and Paypal payment options only. Mastercard®, American Express®, DinersClub®, etc are not acceptable.
It’s important to note that registration closes 7 days before your test date. Late registration closes 4 days before your test date and has a late fee of $40. To avoid all these additional charges, make sure you book for your test early.
2.Register by Phone
Kenyan test takers can also register for the TOEFL test by phone. However, the phone charges can be very expensive and the process quite time consuming. You will also be required to give your visa card details. Remember, Kenyan test takers payment options are limited to Visa® and PayPal® only.
You will be required to review the Registration Form before you call. You will find the number for your Regional Registration Center (RRC) here.
Registration closes 7 days before your test date. Late registration by phone closes at 5 p.m. local test center time on the business day before the test and has a late fee of $40.
3.Register by Mail
To register by mail, you will be required to download and fill out a Registration Form. Forms must be received at least 4 weeks before your test date. If you do not receive a confirmation, call the location where you mailed your paperwork, at least 3 business days before your registration deadline. If you register by mail, you will need to enter certain codes manually that are input automatically online. See Code Lists for Registering by Mail.
Registering by mail is quite a tedious and frankly a very time consuming process.
So you have spent sleepless nights studying and preparing for the TOEFL exam, only to be told you cannot sit for the test on test day. Why? Because you did not follow simple identification rules. To prevent this from happening, here are some identification requirements you need to adhere to.
- When you register for the TOEFL® test, you are required to provide identification (ID) information.
- The name you use when you register MUST match the identification you will bring on test day. If you have a multiple-part first/given or last/family name, enter it exactly as it appears on the ID you will bring to the test center. Be sure to enter your names so they appear in the same order as they do on your ID document. If you do not have a first/given name or do not have a last/family name, check the appropriate box next to the name fields. If your ID shows a middle name, you must enter it in the Middle Name field so the name on your registration matches exactly to the name on your ID. If your ID does not show your middle name, or you don’t have a middle name, leave the Middle Name field blank.
- Your ID document must;
- be an original document; photocopied documents are not acceptable and documents cannot be presented on a mobile phone or any other electronic device.
- be a government-issued national identity card that is issued and recognized by the country where you are a citizen or resident.
- be valid; expired documents (bearing expiration dates that have passed) are not acceptable.
- include your full name exactly matching the name on the ID document used to register.
- include a recent, recognizable photograph
- include your signature (the name on the ID and the signature name must match)
Acceptable ID Documents in Kenya
- Passport with name, photograph and signature
- National ID with name, photograph and signature*
- Government-issued driver’s license with name, photograph and signature
- Military ID with name, photograph and signature*
Unacceptable ID Documents
The following documents are NOT acceptable as primary or supplemental ID under any circumstances:
- Any document that is photocopied or expired
- Any document presented on a mobile phone or any other electronic device
- Any document that is not recognized by a government agency
- Any document that does not exactly match the name you used when you registered
- International driver’s license
- International student ID
- Credit/debit card of any kind
- Birth certificate
- Social security card
- Employee ID card
- Any temporary ID card
- Diplomatic, consulate or Embassy ID card
NB: You are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable ID each time you report to a test center. It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents are up-to-date and available on the day of the test.
If you do not bring valid and acceptable ID, or if the name on your ID does not exactly match the name on your registration, you will not be permitted to take the test and your test fee will not be refunded.
If you are concerned about a discrepancy, contact TSReturns@ets.org before you register.
Cancelling or Changing Your TOEFL iBT Test Registration
If you need to reschedule or cancel your registration, you have up to 4 full days before your test date. For example, if your test is on Saturday, you must reschedule or cancel by Tuesday.
The fee to reschedule is $60 and muse be paid before you can register for a new date.
You can only reschedule or cancel by one of the methods below;
- Online: Log in to your ETS account, and click “Upcoming Tests” on your Home page. Select the test appointment you want to cancel or change, then click “View/Modify.”
- By phone: Be prepared to provide your appointment number and the full name you used when you made the appointment. Contact your Regional Registration Center.
Note: You cannot reschedule or cancel by mail, email or at the test center.
TOEFL Test Refunds
If you cancel your registration before the 4-day deadline, you will be refunded 50% of the original test fee you paid. No refunds are given for other services.
Refunds are given in U.S. dollars and include taxes as applicable. Cash refunds are not available.
If you paid by credit/debit card, the refund will be credited to the original credit/debit card you used to pay.
TOEFL Testing Centers in Kenya
Before you register for the TOEFL test, you need to decide when and where you want to take the test. Generally, in Kenya, there are 2 TOEFL test dates per month but this can change depending on the number of test takers.
Learning & Testing Services of East Africa (LTS) – https://lts-africa.com/ is ETS preferred Global Partner in Kenya. ETS is the company that develops and scores the TOEFL tests. LTS is also rated the BEST TOEFL iBT testing center in Kenya for its state-of-the-art testing rooms and professional services offered.
Remember that your TOEFL test fee includes:
- 1 online score report for you, and 1 paper copy if you requested it before you took the test. Your scores will be posted electronically, unless you request a paper copy by selecting that option when you register. You can change this option through your ETS account at any time up to 10 p.m. (local test center time) on the day before your test. From your home page,under “Upcoming Tests”, click “View/Modify.”
- You can also download and print a PDF test taker score report for your records.
- Up to 4 official score reports sent to the institutions or agencies you select before you take the test; ETS will send the official score reports directly to the score recipients. Keep in mind that if you designate any institution or agency to receive your scores, you will not be able to have your Writing and/or Speaking section rescored through the Score Review Service.
This guide should give you a pretty good idea of the TOEFL registration requirements, test fees and test centers. If you have any additional questions after checking the information in this post, let us know in the comments section below.
LTS Blog Comment Policy: To create the best experience for our readers, we will only approve comments that are relevant to the article, general enough to be helpful to other students, concise, and well-written! Due to the high volume of comments, we cannot promise that all comments will receive responses from our instructors.
We highly encourage students to help each other out and respond to other student’s comments if you can!